There are many types of web hosting solutions from shared hosting to dedicated servers. Shared hosting is the entry-level tier of web hosting, primarily used for hosting websites with low traffic including small business sites or blogs. For websites with more advanced hosting, however, either a Dedicated or VPS solution is preferred.
The features of a VPS (Virtual Private Server) and a dedicated server are quite similar. However, there are some significant differences as outlined below:
- A VPS is a virtual machine created within a host server through virtualization software. The virtual machine is known as a container and the host server is called a node.
- A VPS is noticeable step up from shared hosting, yet still at a relatively low cost.
- With VPS hosting, you will be sharing the CPU with other virtual machines but you receive dedicated RAM, storage space and bandwidth.
- VPS hosting offers easy scalability, allowing you the flexibility to upgrade your server resources including RAM or storage without the need for migration or downtime.
- With VPS hosting, you receive “admin” or “root” access to your virtual server, allowing you to reboot, customize, or install third-party software.
- Dedicated hosting requires leasing a physical server that is completely reserved and dedicated to your hosting needs.
- Dedicated servers are generally more expensive than other hosting platforms.
- The hardware used for a dedicated hosting account is not shared with anyone else, thereby providing you with 100% of the server’s resources.
- A dedicated server is ideal choice for websites with high-traffic or for video and music streaming website that get a large number of visitors.
- Dedicated servers have many CPU options, ranging from a single core to multi-core. The amount of RAM that can be installed is also substantial.
- Dedicated server resources are static and inflexible, therefore most upgrades would require some downtime.
- With a dedicated server, you have full control of server hardware along with admin/root access to customize or install any software.
Finding the right balance between price and performance is often a challenge. Be careful when assuming that money alone is a good measure of quality and capacity. Reliability is also important, and thus selecting an established hosting provider is recommended for peace of mind.